He told us: You ARE salt and light. – Matthew 5:13-14
Either we are living up to it.
Or we are failing at it.
SALT • are we preserving Christ’s influence? • are we adding His perfect flavor to the world?
LIGHT • are we guiding others to the wonderful light that is HIM? • as beautiful as God’s earth is, it’s full of darkness. are we reflecting His light onto others?
For His glory. Not ours. We aren’t called to shine our own worldly light; we are called to reflect His. This life that we we’re so graciously given is not about us, it’s about Him.
Self inquiry: What can I do to uphold the great God-give responsibility of being salt and light?
- read, study and love out His word
- humble myself
- give thanks, always
- pray continually
- stay strong in faith, no matter what happens
- glorify my Heavenly Father
- seek wisdom
- ask for forgiveness daily, and give it to others
- love all people without conditions
- set myself apart from the world by conforming to the image of Christ
- share His perfect gospel
- be a best friend, tell the truth and overuse I love you, never let my praying knees get lazy, and love like craaaaazy 🎶😉
- basically: read, study and live out His word
We are made in God’s image. Therefore our character should be His character. Loving, merciful, righteous, pure, makers of peace– all things that are good. And Jesus tells us, we are blessed for that.
Blessed doesn’t mean that our life is perfect. But that we have peaceful, untouchable joy. The truest sense of happiness. And we inherit the kingdom of Heaven!
If we are Christ-like we will:
- be compassionate to all people
- be forgiving of all people, unconditionally
- choose to see the best in others; we will see them how God sees them
- seek to restore broken relationships
- obey His commands out of love, not fear
- love ALL people
- (and so many other things 😉)
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to them that hate you, Matthew 5:44a
God’s love has no limits. We are to love God and love people, unconditionally!
Sometimes the latter part can be hard. Very hard. But fully embracing God’s love is what frees us freely, fully love others!
If we don’t truly love other people, do we really know and love God? (1 John 4:8)
There’s just SO much freedom in Christ!
For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” – Galatians 5:13-14
We aren’t to be servants of Satan by willingly giving the cold shoulder to others or keeping our hearts closed to then, when God has given us the Holy Spirit to change our lives and the lives of others all around us!
Now, that’s true salt and light!